Friday, August 15, 2008

And now I know why...

For a background refer here. As I was on my way to a dr appt this afternoon I quickly discovered why I didn't say anything to 'girl with no manners' on the subway a few weeks ago. Of course I was in a rush and stepped onto the express train into an overcrowded car with NO air conditioning. Considering I was only going one stop, I didn't find it to be too much of a misfortune. The train had barely pulled out of the station when I witnessed the following:

An African American man in his 40s is seated next to a Caucasian woman in her 50s. He begins screaming at her (note: she is sitting right beside him - she can obviously hear him).

"COVER YOUR *%@*!** WHEN YOU COUGH!..."

He proceeded to scream at her for a while before she got fiesty and dished it right back at him also at the top of her lungs. This went on for a minute before red-headed man standing next to me got involved. He starts screaming at the African American man telling him to show some respect to the woman. To which our friend responds:

"YOU KEEP YOURSELF OUT OF THIS. THIS WOMAN NEEDS TO LEARN SOME MANNERS. YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME? I CAN TAKE YOU!" all the while including some choice expletives between every few words.

I thought a fight was going to break out all in a matter of two minutes, fortunately no physical fights, just words. Two other women starting screaming their own opinions, one yelling at the original man and woman to show some respect as her young daughter was seated right next to them and another woman standing in front of me starting yelling: "Everyone just shut up, shut up! We all want to get off of this $@*&## hot subway..."

It was quite the ride. I was just concerned about getting out of there before a fight broke out so I could get to my dr appt. And you better believe I rushed right out of that subway car when we arrived at 86th Street!

I think I made a wise choice to bite my tongue when 'Ms. No-Manners' sneezed in my face a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Good choice to not say anything! This definitely confirms that. Your little baby is definitely going to be tough!