Thursday, January 24, 2008

Only in NYC

Oh the joys of life in NYC. So, I just caught a cab from a voiceover record in Chelsea back up to the office. It started as a normal experience, until we hit a red light. What happens next I wish my "trying to stay virgin" ears didn't have to hear. A passenger in a white car next to us rolls down his window and starts screaming at our cab driver for swerving around him (or something like that). "What were $#*!, you $*@%!$..." In all honesty, the only words I heard were expletives because he literally used one for at least every other word! Then to make matters worse my cab driver dished it right back to him! He didn't speak English well as it was, but he sure knew how to say all the choice words! Isn't there a right to respect your passengers and not cuss up a storm?!?! After a minute or so of that madness, the light changes and I thought to myself, "Well thank goodness for green lights!" But NO, Mr. Cab Driver sounds off to me including as many expletives as possible as he explained the ridiculousness of drivers like the white car from "California" and pointed out ever driver that was getting in the #*@*^@ way. Right, that must be it, they're from California so they don't know how to drive! Whatever! But now I'm wondering why I even tipped him at all (and it was a pretty nice tip too)...why was I so nice?

The sad thing is that it isn't much better at work. You would think the the English vocabulary doesn't provide enough words to use! Luckily my boss has noticed that I don't swear and always apologizes for swearing in front of me. She tries really hard not to and gets mad at herself when she does. I appreciate her efforts! (And she agrees it is unnecessary so I guess maybe I can make a difference one boss at a time :)).

I sure do miss by Spirit-filled job teaching at the MTC...the amount of swearing around here is enough to drive the Spirit for at least another century!

No comments: