Sunday, November 04, 2007

Marathon schmarathon!

Today is the New York City Marathon. It makes its way through all five boroughs. Well, it just happens that the part of the race through Manhattan runs right by our apartment. It wasn't a problem getting to church this morning because our leg of the race is at about mile 17, but getting home from church was a little bit of a different story! Massive amounts of people lined the streets with 1st Avenue baracaded off so that you couldn't cross. At first I was fine with it and thought I would get in the marathon spirit and watch like everyone else. Well, that can only be fun for so long (especially when you're standing there alone all dressed up beside others in sweats). After about 45 minutes and a couple of phone calls to pass the time, I decided to see if I could find a way home since it seemed as though half of the population of Manhattan was running the race. Another hour later I had finally made my way down 30 blocks to cross 1st Avenue and then head all the way back up. Blasted runners! Although, to their credit, I was semi jealous as I hope to run a marathon or two in my lifetime (just have to find the motivation to get up and train every morning)! Here are some pictures I snapped before my patience had run out.
The crowds at 86th and 1st cheering on the runners.

The runners themselves. Goodness, you would think there would be a break, but no, the whole world was out there running and very evenly spaced out.
This is looking down my street. So close and yet so far from me. Who knew it would take over an hour to get 1/2 block away. Gotta love NYC!

Last night I met Brett at work so we could share some dinner, spend some time together and organize his cubicle. Since it was pretty dead (not surprising since it was a Saturday night), I took advantage to take some pictures. It still embarrased Brett, but come on, it's better than trying to snap them while everyone is there :)
I made labels for all of the companies that he covers and organized new files for him. That's some serious dedication! It turned out mighty beautiful (I'll see if I can snap a picture next time I am there)

While I prepared the new files, Brett purged the old ones from many analysts that came before.

No comments: