Saturday, November 03, 2007

Gibson/Gee First Annual Family Camping Trip

Over Labor day weekend Brett and I met up with my sister and her husband and went camping in western Pennsylvania. We sure had a blast and with us both being so far away from family, it was definitely fun to spend time with them! There's just something about being with family that you can't get anywhere else. Here's a little re-cap of the trip. Enjoy the pictures!

Although we got off of work early, by the time we made it to Summit, NJ to pick up our rental car (I was finally old enough to rent one and oh how wonderful it was to drive again!), stopped at Wal-Mart to stock up and made the drive, it was well after midnight before we arrived at the campground.
Saturday morning we made baggie omelets. I found the idea on the internet and they worked surprisingly well.

Sisters...sisters...there were never such devoted sisters...

Check out the sweet leaf bug we found climbing on the kitchen box!Saturday we enjoyed an afternoon on the river in Kirsten and Kyle's little boat. The fishing wasn't too great, but at the end of the day we had all caught at least one small fish and I managed to hook a few trees (oops...although to my credit, I was the first to catch a fish!)

The boat is only big enough for three so Kyle showed us the ropes while Kirst enjoyed an afternoon to herself. I think that included a nice nap, a shower and some reading.
Check us out. I reeled this guy in not too long ago!

The worms looked quite appetizing. I thought that if the fish saw me about to bite, they might jump and take a bite themselves!

The first catch of the day...no, not me, the little fish in my hand! Although we do strike an incredible resemblance. :)

I started a chain of good luck. Check out my fine catch with his catch :)

Sunday we went into Punxsutawney, PA to attend church and get to know the little home town of our famous groundhog Phil.

Now entering Gobbler's Knob. Mom, this picture is for you. Kirst and I were showing our Groundhog Day enthusiasm excited that we finally reached the place! We felt very festive (though the day wasn't anywhere near).

This is where it all happens! On February 2nd, Phil appears right here! We even met one of the members of the Inner Circle who was there fixing the place up. He took our picture. Next year on Groundhog's Day we'll feel special knowing that we've stood on the same stage as our famous friend! Look who saw her shadow...
We found this sign outside of a church on the drive to Punxsy. In case you can't read it, it says "WARNING: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning."There are over 30 Punxsutawney Phil statues throughout the city. Each statue is of Phil dressed up as something different. We drove around and found the statues that we most identified with.

Dr. Kirsten with angel Phil outside the hospital.

Belhop Kyle outside an old historic hotel.
Tourist Kris (don't know why I got that one?) Maybe it had to do with my obsession with pictures or love of scrapbooking and the fact that Phil had the camera around his neck just like me.
Banker Brett (enough said)
Fireman Phil posing with Kirst & Kyle
How fitting...Statue of Liberty Phil with the New Yorkers themselves!
Sunday afternoon we enjoyed some game time (until the wee hours of the night in true Nicholas fashion) and of course a campfire with delicious treats. Over the course of the two days we enjoyed classic foil dinner, s'mores, banana boats, Ruthie G's brownies, Trash, kabobs, Jiffy Pop popcorn over the fire...mmm, it was all very tasty!

Brett went out to gather some more tinder and kindling.

Resident fire expert #1.

Resident fire expert #2.

Kirst and Kyle enjoying their foil dinners!Monday morning before heading back home, we went to a spot on the shore near the dam to see if we could have more luck with the catches. Though it didn't prove to be much more fruitful, we managed to catch a couple more little suckers.

Kirsten looked so serene, I had to snap the moment.Like wife, like husband...Kyle wasn't too far away on the other side of me looking quite tranquil himself.

We had to catch a peaceful (check out all of my synonyms for that word) moment as well (though this was a bit staged).
Thanks for planning the trip Kirst and Kyle! We had a blast! Let's do it again soon (or maybe as soon as the winter weather passes).

1 comment:

The Tylkas said...

you're doing so much better at the blog thing. I really enjoyed the camping trip recap. Call me seeing as how your days will be less busy here soon until your new job starts!! Love you!