Thursday, September 25, 2008

How did I get so lucky?

I have to give a shout out to my cute husband for all he's been doing. As if having a pregnant wife just weeks from delivery isn't enough, he's also dealing with the collapse of Wall Street (and since he covers AIG, he's had A LOT to deal with). The poor guy has been going into the office early (and when you have to be there by 6:30am normally, going in early takes on a whole new meaning) and staying late every single day for the past two weeks. We haven't had dinner together in I don't know how long and I'm lucky if we get 10 minutes of talking time in before one of us nods off to sleep. (Not that I'm complaining, we're so blessed to have the great jobs that we do, particularly in this economy).

Despite the stressful times at work, he's managed to still be around for baby girl G and me. How in the world did I get so lucky to have someone that:
- took the time on Saturday (that he didn't have) to come with me to Buy Buy Baby (way better than Babies R Us) to get all of the last minute necessities so that I didn't have to carry them home by myself on the subway (because I'm just way too cheap to take a cab)
- came home Sunday after he'd finished counting tithing and was about to hit the books to study for the CFA, only to first clean the main room and vacuum cuz he could see just how exhausted I was
- has done the laundry pretty much 100% of the time for the last few months so I don't have to carry it up and down the stairs (though I did take care of the laundry this past weekend, he was there to carry it back up after I'd finished folding it)
- nested for me back at the end of August when he had a few days off of work (and I didn't)...seriously he re-organized the entire apartment and did a fabulous job of it!
- does the dishes - hands down he has washed at least twice as many dishes as I have in our marriage (and the only times I really wash them are when he's working late)
- takes the trash downstairs so I don't have to go up and down the stairs (do we see a recurring theme of these stairs?)
- insists that I call him as soon as I finish grocery shopping so he can carry it all up (and gets mad at me when I buy too much when he's not home and then insist on carrying it up myself instead of leaving it downstairs for him to take up when he gets home)
- rubs my swollen ankles and helps me put on the support socks I wear at night to ease the swelling
- listens to a detailed description of my day including all of the (I'm sure boring to him) ins and outs of my job and my frustrations with things
- doesn't judge me for my fears, weaknesses and many flaws

He's been good to me and I love him. His admin tells him that I deserve praise for still working full-time so close to delivery...I think, however, he is the one that deserves the praise. We're looking forward to a few quiet (well, I guess quiet isn't quite the word...maybe Wall Street and advertising free) days post baby just to enjoy our little family.

Hang in there Brett...though Wall Street may be crashing around you, baby girl G and I love you!

2 comments:

Karene said...

Thanks Brett for being so awesome!

Preethi said...

You guys are so cute. We're so excited for you! We can't wait to meet your little angel. I realized I'm actually taking the GMAT on your due date! Also, we'll be in NYC that weekend. So if you're up to visitors (TOTALLY fine if you're not) maybe we'll stop by for a sec to drop of cookies or something. :)