Monday, December 10, 2007

My twin is getting married!

What a weekend! This past weekend I went to Utah to spend a fun-filled weekend with Mary and help her as she counts down the days (now 12) to her wedding! We had such a blast just being together again. It had been such a LONG time since we'd been able to hang out just the two of us. I almost didn't get there thanks to a blasted NJ Transit train that broke down just a few minutes outside of Penn Station. What should have been a 20 minute train ride turned out to be a bit over 2 hours with 1.5 of those hours sitting in a tunnel (with no cell phone reception, except for those with Verizon...good thing to know...Verizon gets some good reception...I'll have to think twice about keeping AT&T) on a stopped train while they tried to fix our mechanical problems. Needless to say, I missed my original flight and it all looked hopeless once I got to the airport. Delta wasn't helping me out too much, so I took matters into my own hands, ran to another terminal and talked to the nice people at the Continental ticketing counter. They put me onto their direct flight to SLC for no additional cost and I barely made it to the gate in time for that flight (another long story about security). Then when I thought that I'd be going hungry for another 5 hours (it had already been 6 hours since lunch), Continental fed us dinner. They sure racked up the points from me this weekend. I think I'll send them a nice note, thanking them for their service! And of course, they'll be getting my business in the future. Anyway, after a very long afternoon/evening, I arrived in SLC greeted by some intense snow storms and an adorable Mary and Mark. They were kind enough to wait around for me and we started the trek back to Orem. We had a short stop on the way as Mark helped change a tire on a car full of helpless girls. What a good Samaritan he was...soaked and chilled to the bone, but still smiling!

This was what we drove through on Saturday...and it got worse.
I forget how much I miss the college days of late night girl talk. Mary and I managed to squeeze in quite a bit of that throughout the weekend as we ran all the wedding planning type errands. The dinner reception is going to be absolutely beautiful...I can't wait to see pictures. And her dress...it's divine! And with her in it, oh my goodness, she will be the most beautiful bride ever!

For the first three years of college Mary, Kim, Margi, Jenny, Kristi and I were all roommates. We had so much fun together and shared many memories. Saturday night three of us were able to get together. We spent a bit with Kim and her little kiddies. It was so good to be all together again. Now hopefully someday soon we can get everyone together!
Since we didn't take too many pictures during the weekend, we snuck a couple in at the airport on Sunday.
It was fun to meet Mark. Little did he know that this weekend was a test. I had to give my stamp of approval before the big day and my oh my, did he ever pass with flying colors! They're sure lucky to have each other.
Before I end, I just have to share some of my favorite Mary memories.
- Having our freshman teachers and bishopric constantly mix us up because we were both tall and blond and our last names were just about identical (Nicholls and Nicholas).
- Calling each other twin since people got us mixed up. I always wanted a twin :)
- Inventing recipes every Saturday our junior year just for the fun of it. Some of them turned out mighty fine and the others, well, at least college boys ate them because it was free food. No one died in the process :)
- Listening to her sing tenor an octave higher every Sunday at Church.
- Laying in each others rooms talking about nothing til we both fell asleep and one of us woke up at about 4am to stumble into our own room.
- By far some of my favorite moments were the Friday night dance parties in our apartment. All we needed was Mary, Kris, and a little bit of JT!
I love you Mare!

2 comments:

The Tylkas said...

I'm glad you had a fun trip and that you returned safely. Wish I could have seen you more.

Mary Millet said...

Oh my goodness! I love you sooo much!! You are by far my MOST FAVORITE TWIN EVER!! And probably the most favorite twin of those we meet :) I miss you more than I can articulate! You are so fabulous and I love love love you!