Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas, Christmas time is here!

So with the season in full swing, I had to have a Christmas dedicated post. I've been trying to semi deck out my house to help get in the holiday spirit.

Initially Brett and I wanted to decorate the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so we turned on the Christmas music (hurray!), pulled out all of our decorations from last year and realized that it consisted only of a small tree, some lights, a handful of disco type ornaments and a star that didn't work. (And of course the beautiful quilt from Angie and our first Nativity from Ade). As you can imagine, it didn't take long to put it all up. Brett even made hot chocolate (though he's not a fan of it) to celebrate the moment.

Brett fluffed the tree while I got everything else ready to go.
Notice that deep concentration. "Where to put the ornaments," I thought. "Gotta space them out evenly and make sure two of the same color aren't right next to each other."
Our sad first attempt at the Christmas tree.
Post setting up the tree, we enjoyed some hot chocolate and posed a few times for the camera. This was our "winking" picture.
A day or two later a nice surprise arrived at work from my sister Kirsten. At home we had a glass snowman jar that we took out each Christmas and my mom filled with red and green M&M's. Kirst found these in Ohio and sent each of us one so we could have it in our own house. The perfect Nicholas touch in the Gibson home! Thanks Kirst, you're the best! (She even sent along some mint M&M's and I sneak a few everytime I walk by...which can be bad since living in a studio I walk by it quite frequently)!
Brett's been working so hard over the past few months trying to balance work and school and me (and I'm not always easy to deal with). So I thought it time that he know how much I love him and help him count down to Christmas (and the end of finals) with an advent calendar (thanks Target) filled with a little present each day.

Every day there is a little note hanging from the doorknob of the corresponding date with a little message and a little something inside to enjoy. I'm sure Brett would be happy to tell you some of the things he's received thus far.
Here he is showing off Monday's present...discreet ear muffs. He tried them out Tuesday and he was more than pleased!
After a weeknight trip to Target with Ade, I was able to add a bit more style to the tree. (Notice the beautiful placemats that my mom sent over to add some Christmas flavor to the home. We love them! Thanks Mom!)
Tilt your head a bit for this picture - the finished product sans star (I just haven't been able to find one, so I'll have to make my own or make a beautiful bow to place on top).
Here on the East Side, there is a Relief Society yearly wreath making activity. This was my first year taking part. My friend Kaitlin (a former co-worker) came along and these are our final products.
For the month of December my first wreath will replace the clock. It's a perfect size. Here she is in all her glory. It doesn't look that great in the picture, but she's beautiful. Tonight I'll have to trim her up so that there is a defined center and a rounder outside edge, but it was too late last night with a seminary lesson to prepare and the clock already ticking past 10pm.
The Christmas entry way :)

Stay tuned for another Christmas post displaying the rest of our Christmas'ed out studio.

1 comment:

The Tylkas said...

Looks great!!! I'm excited to see you.