Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wonderful Life in the BIG APPLE! As I stepped off the plane yesterday and got my taxi into the city, I had a deja vu experience. I felt like I had just arrived in Buenos Aires and was beginning my mission. Why you might ask? Well, for one, I had all this luggage and no one to help me with it and then when I got into the taxi, after telling the driver where to go, I asked, "So, how long have you been a taxi driver?" Every time we got into a "remis" (the Argentine word for taxi), we asked that and then worked the conversation into the Restoration and either gave a Book of Mormon or took down the address to go visit. The Haitian man that I talked to was incredibly nice...we talked the whole way and I felt like I a missionary again! Also, just as I felt in Buenos Aires, so I felt yesterday and today in NYC. I surely would never want to drive in this town! It's bad enough being a pedestrian. We arrived at my apartment--it is just like the movies! The door to the complex is in between two shops. My roommate Mindy came down to let me in and we started the climb up the five flights of tiny stairs to my apartment. My apartment is one of the nicer, bigger apartments that poor interns live in! It is three bedroom, two bathroom. Pictures will soon come. I just felt like I should be on an episode of Friends or something (without all the raunchiness). After getting a little settled, I headed down the block to the grocery store. My first thoughts as I entered and looked at the prices--"What in the world? There is no way I'm paying this much for food! I may as well stop eating with the price of food around here!" Haha...well I was quickly humbled and needless to say I swallowed my cheapness and bought myself some food! Just for your information--a gallon of milk is $3.99, a box of cereal $4.99 and above, granola bars $5.00 for the small box! Outrageous. It looks like I will be living on noodles and rice (sounding again like Argentina)! Today was my day venturing downtown and looking for my office so that I can get there tomorrow during rush hour. I met some of my friends who are already interning for lunch in Bryant Park (which is right by the New York Public Library). I haven't yet tried one but am very tempted by the $1 hot dogs on the street. Those will be coming soon. In my adventures I was able to drive through Central Park, walk through Times Square, look down Broadway, go into Y&R (another Ad Agency in town) and meet some people, and just see all the sites. Tonight is Museum Mile Festival where you can get into a ton of museums for free. If I can hook up with some of the other interns, I will be there. My feet are tired from all the walking...thank goodness for buses and subways. I have my 30-day Metro pass and will be getting more than my money worth for it. The buses were another reminder of Argentina. Oh, how I miss it. On every corner there are street vendors selling fresh fruit and vegetables (yet again like Argentina). I am excited to go buy myself healthy snacks. Well, I am off...tomorrow is the first day of work. Update on that to come!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Kris-
sounds like you are having a great adventure already...I am so excited for you and just jealous enough that I'm definitely still planning on visiting. :) Love ya and good luck on your first day of work!
Sarah