Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene @ 28 weeks

We survived Irene.  I was so busy with work in the days leading up to the hurricane that I didn't follow much about it, but instead heard more updates from family and friends wondering if we were going to be ok.  We had plans to leave on a road trip yesterday, but decided our destination would be following the storm's path and additionally we unfortunately need to spend our much needed vacation time looking for apartments in preparation for our end of September move.  So, we decided to can the trip and do a staycation of sorts.  I finally headed to the store to stock up on supplies on Saturday morning, just in case it knocked out power, etc.  I have never seen lines like that in Manhattan.  I was lucky and picked the right one which only took 20 minutes, but the line next to me took over an hour.  What?!?!  The shelves were looking meager, particularly in the water and bread sections.  I found plenty to stock our cupboards though.  

Once we locked ourselves in for 24 hours, we were just crossing our fingers that the hurricane wouldn't negatively impact our apartment search this coming week.  Thank goodness it was not as bad as it was forecasted it could have been (though I recognize not all areas of the East Coast were as lucky as Manhattan).  In our neighborhood there was nothing much of note.  We just hunkered down and enjoyed some family time inside.  We all slept through the night though baby boy managed to wake me up a few times allowing me to hear the strong winds and pouring rain.

Here is the aftermath of it all.  It's pretty eerie to see the streets of Manhattan so bare - that NEVER happens even at 4am.



On our Sunday afternoon walk to check out Irene's damage.

2 comments:

Cocoa Lover said...

Glad that Irene was not bad in Manhattan. Sounds like you all had a nice, relaxing weekend. Forgot to mention in last post how much I love the pictures of Sadie, can't decide which is my favorite.

Dolphin Girl said...

Glad you survivied! :)