Monday, April 07, 2008

Pink Sand Beaches and Coral Reefs: Day One!

I've decided to break up the post about Bermuda into days. The thought of going through all of these pictures and uploading all of them for one post now sounds exhausting. So, instead I'll break it up.

I arrived in Bermuda late Thursday night with no problems...I managed to catch my first flight, so unlike Brett, it was easy to get there. It's only an hour and a half flight from JFK! Thursday night was uneventful considering I got in well after dark (and it gets dark late there). The cab driver was so friendly and we chatted the entire 30 minutes from the airport to the hotel. He told me the top three places to go while in Bermuda and of course he recounted his life story (hmmm...reminds me of the mission).

Thursday morning was overcast and windy, but we didn't let that stop us. Here is a view from our room that morning...beautiful view and those clouds cleared up and we never saw them again the rest of the trip.
On the way to sight see, but I just loved this little nook of the hotel and all the coi swimming beneath my feet.
We stayed at the Fairmont Princess. There is another Fairmont in Southhampton, so they provide free ferries down there every few hours. We hopped on one of those and spent the rest of the day getting to know the beaches of the South shore.

Enjoying the ferry ride. Brett made sure to be first in line to get us a front row seat!
Approaching shore with a perfect view of Gill's Lighthouse.
The hotel's private beach.
Horseshoe Bay (one of the world's most beautiful beaches)! And since the day started out overcast, the people went elsewhere and left the beach almost entire to us!
I know, it wouldn't be a vacation post without some pictures of the food (I got that from my family). We didn't eat this bad the whole time, but it was the only thing around, so we sucked it up and enjoyed a grease-filled lunch from the snack bar!

Testing out the waters.

Enjoying the warmth of the Atlantic! I would have been there with him, but "they say" not to leave your things unattended and we surely didn't want our nice camera or cash stolen. And for the record, I spent some time in the water, but didn't go all the way in since it was still breezy and we only had a small towel (already used by Brett) with us.

So you can't really tell here, but the sand really is pink (or better said, it has a mixture of pink and, for lack of a better description, sand-collored grains of fine sand). It was heavenly to walk on!


Overlooking Horseshoe Bay before heading back.

We couldn't figure out what kind of fish were laying all over the beach.

Then we saw a sign on the way back warning beach-goers about Portuguese Man-O-War and their stinging tentacles.

There were so many beautiful, tropical flowers and I just couldn't snap enough pictures. Here's one of my favorites:

On the trolley back down to the ferry. Note: Brett had already spent two additional days in the sun, hence his color and my sheer whiteness. Oh how I miss the days of a year-round tan in Cali. Someday!

Since I was the photographer 99% of the time, this is about the only view I had of myself. It was a relaxing ride back - much warmer than that morning and almost no wind at all.

A view of our resort from afar!

And there she is, the Fairmont Princess in Hamilton.

All in all, day one was great! We enjoyed a stroll (that word makes us sound 50 years older) in downtown Hamilton where we went to the Lobster Pot for dinner. I was all ready to get Lobster until I saw that it wasn't anything special...it was Maine lobster! Hello, I can get that in New York AND it's probably fresher in NYC since it has a lot less distance to travel! Unfortunately we didn't bring the camera with us that night, so no pictures to document the evening or the great food...sorry to disappoint! :)

5 comments:

The Tylkas said...

awesome. I was looking forward to seeing pics!

Lynette said...

Love the pic, looks like you had a good time. Was there a day 2?

Sarah said...

Looks heavenly...it snowed in Provo today. And, Baltimore it is, so we will DEFINITELY have to get together soon! It's so fun to read about your life!

Anonymous said...

I just returned from Bermuda (6/28/08) and we went to Horseshoe Bay beach as well. I almost got stung by a Man O' War floating past me in the water. Dangerous stuff and they didn't even post a warning. However, there were signs about the strong undertow - very similar to the beaches on Fire Island.

Be careful at Horseshoe Bay!

Cantor Valdir Alexandre said...

Grreat blog you have