Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Commuting in NYC!

Well, for those of you who haven't yet experienced life in NYC, I just thought I would make a quick note. Going to work can be a long commute even if you live relatively close to the office. You have to walk to the nearest public transportation and then wait (sometimes you don't have to wait at all and other times you're glad that you have good reading material in hand). Anyway, you really just have to plan well. Yesterday I left at the normal time and after getting to the bus stop, waited 10 minutes for a bus that was half a block away. Why, you might ask? The traffic was so horrendous that the bus literally sat at the same stoplight that entire time. Then once I got on the bus, it sat at the next stoplight for just as long. So after what seemed like hours, I got off the bus to transfer to the subway and what happens...I run down the stairs to catch the subway there and I get to the doors as they close...I tried to stick my hand in to get them to open really quickly, but had no luck. You've got to love the commute. Possibly the worst part about it all is waiting in the subway tunnel. If New York isn't hot and humid enough as is, you have to sit underground in a hotter, humider tunnel! I get to work everyday and feel like I just rolled through the mud. So much for getting ready each morning!

No comments: