Saturday, November 26, 2011

Bringing Home Baby

Our time in the hospital was absolutely wonderful.  A private post-partum room in New York is not covered by insurance and will run you anywhere from $550/night up to $4,000/night (for the 3 room suite).  We opted not to pay the cash for the room (I'm working on convincing Brett to let me use that money toward clothes & shoes :)), but got lucky lucky lucky.  You see, if there are no more shared rooms available, you get a private room, for free.  Usually you get moved once a shared room opens up.  Somehow, the stars aligned and we scored a private room for free, for the entire stay.  I think in addition to sheer luck, our labor & delivery nurse really liked us (and the treats we brought to share) and worked her magic.  So though I had requested at minimum to be on one of the newly renovated post-partum floors with a window bed overlooking Central Park, I was more than happy to take the private room on the non-renovated floor with a minimal street view.  Had I been in a shared room, I would have pushed to leave after the required 24 hours that they need to keep the baby.  But, since my mom was here with Sadie (thanks Mom!), we decided to let Brett and me enjoy the time to get to know our little man.  Since he was born at 1:14am, we kind of had three nights in the hospital.  Long, yes, but why not?  I may or may not have been caught by a nurse standing up on the bed with a mini photo studio set up in our room, snapping pictures of Colton our last night there.  What can I say, I was feeling good and pictures those first days are just priceless. 

Our floor didn't have a family lounge overlooking the park, so before we headed home, we strolled up a few floors to get a picture overlooking the park.

This time around, Brett made sure to take home as much as he could the night before, so we didn't have so much to load into the cab.  We still had quite a bit, but knowing that we had a doorman and elevator meeting us on the other end (unlike our lovely 5th floor walk-up with Sadie), we weren't quite as concerned.

Colton enjoyed his first taxi ride and not surprisingly slept through the entire thing.  We were just excited to get home and be with our cute Sadie.  She was somewhat indifferent when we walked in the door and continued watching her movie.  But after a few minutes, she came over to Colton's car seat and asked if we could get him out.  She loves her little brother though she is trying to make sense of it all in her own time.

Family of four
 


 


I adore those deliciously kissable cheeks!
 

3 comments:

Cocoa Lover said...

Glad that I was there, what a cute little bundle.

Dolphin Girl said...

Very cute. Love the picture by the Taxi!

Elizabeth said...

How fun to read a new post! Cute little man!